Featured Post

"Britican" - Britishisms, Translated into American, by Toria Burrell

A British to American-English Dictionary Copyright (c) 1997-2023 Victoria Burrell-Hrencecin. I started writing this dictionary of B...

Monday, June 10, 2024

Update on my latest composing commission

Things have been going quite well recently on the composing front, I'm pleased to say. (See my previous post for the full story). I got the piece (more or less) finished several weeks ago. I completed all 8 voice parts, 4 string parts (3 violins and cell), bassoon solo part, piano accompaniment and piano reduction for rehearsal only.

Then, just last night, I was incredibly blessed to have 8 wonderful singer-friends agree to come to my house to do a sing-through of it! (I've known these singers for many years, some from the Chicago Chamber Choir, some from Cor Cantiamo. And it was lovely having my own singer-hubby, Dave, joining in too!). 

These guys helped me to hear this piece with REAL singers for the first time!! (Before last night, I'd only heard it in my head, and through my computer software, with digital / synthesized sounds). Their voices brought it alive, and really helped me to realize how I need to tweak the piece, to perfect it now, going forward.

I can't share the full videos, partly due to the license agreement I have with the school (who have commissioned this project), and partly because the piece is not finished or perfected yet! (Not to mention that the full piece includes 6 instruments as well as 8 voices, so this is not a full rendition).

However, I can share this very short 10 second clip that just gives a teeny-tiny taster of the very last chord!

The pics are just screen shots I took from the videos, just to show what fun we had! (With some editing help from Cam Carrara!)

With many thanks to these wonderful singers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts